[ms_alert icon=”fa-bullhorn” background_color=”#eded5c” text_color=”#000000″ border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]
- Close to midnight last night we were contacted by the Cypress Creek Emergency Center people to tell us that they will be sending about 130 evacuees to the mosque for shelter. Thanks to the tremendous support from the community and our neighbors, we felt confident that we could host our guests even on such short notice. We had volunteers at the gym on standby to receive this group until about 2 AM when we were contacted again by Cypress Creek Emergency Center to inform us that the group no longer needs to be sent to shelter. InshAllah this means that the immediate danger has passed in our near vicinity and people are choosing to stay rather than leave their homes. The hard work of rebuilding will be next. May Allah (SWT) give us the resilience and patience to be successful in that effort as well. Ameen!
- We have all been seeing the overwhelming outpouring of support from all over the state, and we got a taste of that last night as well. A gentleman drove up to the mosque gym about 1:30 AM last night, hauling a large boat behind his truck. He had driven from Austin to help with the rescue efforts on Tuesday morning. He had done his part during the day and commented that there were a lot of boats in the water all day and his larger boat was not as useful after the water had begun receding. He was returning home and stopped by the mosque to drop off any remaining supplies that he had brought over with him for people in the shelter. May Allah (SWT) reward him for his selfless acts.
- We will announce news about the EId-ul-Adha prayers later in the day inshAllah, once we assess how the day goes and whether any of the evacuees are still at the gym. Not having the use of the Gym will definitely impact the way the Eid prayers were supposed to be held, but we are sure the community will understand and will help us make the best of it with whatever space we have available to hold the prayers.
[ms_alert icon=”fa-bullhorn” background_color=”#b5d6a4″ text_color=”” border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]
- Jazak Allah Khair to EVERYONE that contributed. We DO NOT NEED ANY MORE SUPPLIES AT THIS TIME.
- Here is a preview of the MPH/Gym at this time:
[ms_alert icon=”fa-bullhorn” background_color=”#97abbf” text_color=”#ffffff” border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]
- We have enough towels and blankets now – JAK to all those that brought these. No other food and supplies needed either at this time.
- What would be nice to get are small toys to keep the young kids entertained – things like coloring books and crayons, not things that require batteries or make noises.
- Many more people are expected as the day progresses so please be ready to act when called upon.
[ms_alert icon=”fa-bullhorn” background_color=”#ededbd” text_color=”” border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]
- Masjid presently has about 23 people who took shelter. This number is expected to increase. Fire Marshall has requested permission to bring more people, and the masjid has been used by the Sheriff department and boaters to stage rescues.
- We are ok for food at this time. A group of sisters is cooking for more than 50 for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- What we need urgently are the following:
- Towels – lots of them.
- Dog food (IAMS brand if possible)
- Old blankets for pets
[ms_alert icon=”fa-bullhorn” background_color=”#ddadad” text_color=”” border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]
REQUEST FOR FAMILIES WHO CAN SPONSOR OTHER FAMILIES
With the Champions mosque an open staging center right now for distressed families, we want to know if any of the families in the community would open their homes to sponsor other distressed families (assumption is that you are safe and dry). If you are able to do so, please fill out the form linked below. Note that the question “Number of People Willing to Sponsor *” refers to the size of the family that you have room to accommodate.
REQUEST FOR SUPPLIES AT THE MASJID
We are ready to accept the following supplies at the Multi Purpose Hall at this time. These are needed to as part of being a staging center for relief efforts, as well as to care for any families that arrive at the masjid looking for a dry place. If you can safely drive to the mosque, please consider helping with this list, or donate money for the supplies.
Water (Bottles or Gallons)
Canned Soup, Tuna, Fruits, Vegetables.
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Feminine Hygiene Products
First aid Kit
Lighter and matches
Disposable plates and cups and bowls and utensils
REQUEST FOR COOKED FOOD
If you are able to cook easy and quick things in large quantities, such as rice, pasta, etc, please fill out the form linked below, and indicate that YES on the cooking question:
[ms_alert icon=”fa-bullhorn” background_color=”#cab1e2″ text_color=”” border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]
We have several families that are stranded and in need of evacuation locally, particularly near the Cypresswood area. The only way to access them is through boat. We are asking for two things:
- People with access to boats to please contact us immediately if they are able to help with their boat, or if they can make their boat available for others to use for the rescue.
- We are also requesting able-bodied people that are willing and able to help, to please sign up to volunteer to help with the local efforts.
Please fill out this form if you are able to help with your boat or if you are available as a volunteer.
Some of these families have contacted all of the official channels for help but, as expected, the services are overwhelmed. If we have some people that can be called upon to help locally that would be a big help InshAllah.
[ms_alert icon=”fa-bullhorn” background_color=”#75caf4″ text_color=”” border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]
Assalam Aliekom Dear Community Members,
We ask ALLAH to protect us all. As you know, the rain is expected to continue with flooding imminent in many areas in the city. Old Louetta is seeing water rise on the sides as the ditches are completely full at this point. We encourage the community to stay put and safe. However, the Masjid would be open for community members looking to stay dry while they make alternative arrangements to ensure their safety. The Islamic Society of Greater Houston (ISGH) Social Services Committee is committed to the safety of our community and will continue to work to ensure people in need receive food, shelter and comfort in the wake of this storm.
ISGH Shelter Centers
ISGH Social Services has designated two mosques as shelters to help those impacted by flooding throughout the Greater Houston area. They will be open 24 hours a day, providing a dry place to stay, food and emotional support for displaced residents.
1. Brand Lane (Sabireen) – 610 Brand Lane Stafford TX, 77477
2. Bear Creek (Mustafa) – 17250 Coventry Park Houston TX, 77084
We are partnering with the organization Baitulmaal who have helped during past flood disasters. They will be providing hygiene products, food and water to those in need as soon as conditions permit. Masjid AlSalam (Champions) will participate in this effort inshALLAH.
Please call the ISGH hurricane hotline number at 832-296-3433 for assistance with food, water, shelter and rescue to safety.
Please do not call 911 unless it is a life threatening emergency – according to the Mayor the 911 line is being overwhelmed with people calling for information or for reporting the situation in their neighborhoods. For information please utilize the 211 number.
Able to Volunteer?
Volunteers are needed to staff these shelters and provide food and other services. Anyone interested in volunteering and can safely participate is encouraged to call (832)-296-3433. Urgent need is for someone with a boat to volunteer in rescue efforts.
Relief Effort Donations
If you would like to donate to help with flood aid and relief, please donate to ISGH on their website at https://isgh.org/Harvey. All donations will be made directly to this fund to assist victims of Harvey.
We pray for everyone to come through this catastrophe safely. We ask ALLAH to protect us all.
[ms_button style=”normal” link=”https://isgh.org/Harvey” size=”large” shape=”” shadow=”no” block=”no” target=”_blank” gradient=”no” color=”#1e73be” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”” icon_animation_type=”” border_width=”0″ class=”” id=””]ISGH Harvey Relief[/ms_button]
[ms_alert icon=”fa-bullhorn” background_color=”#dda654″ text_color=”” border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]
UPDATE 1: All programs on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (Aug 25th to 27th) have been postponed due to inclement weather forecast. Friday prayer will Inshallah be performed as usual, unless announced to the contrary.
As you all are aware by now, Houston is in the direct path of Hurricane Harvey, which is expected to arrive in full force by late Friday or early Saturday. Given the amount of rain predicted to fall, this storm could severely limit access to our masjid. With this possibility in mind, the security team, along with the Masjid administration have planned for the possibility of canceling all programs at the Masjid on Friday and Saturday, Aug 25th and 26th. Please keep in mind that even Friday prayers may be affected if the storm arrives early and the rainfall is heavy. Do not come to the masjid if the rainfall is heavy and power is out in this area.
Please regularly check this website and the Facebook page to stay abreast of the latest situation and planning at the masjid. We will also send Push Notifications through our mobile app, so if you have not download the app, please do so.
May Allay (SWT) protect us from all calamities and keep us safe. Ameen.
[ms_alert icon=”” background_color=”#b0d695″ text_color=”” border_width=”0″ border_radius=”0″ box_shadow=”no” dismissable=”no” class=”” id=””]Here are some prayers of the Prophet (PBUH) to recite during times of storms, from Imam Suhaib Webb’s Facebook page. [/ms_alert]